Saturday, October 17, 2009

I believe that I had the quintessential American in Paris experience tonight...

...when a Parisian woman called me "stoo-peed" in her very Frenchy
French accent. I was coming out of my building, and she grabbed the
door before it closed, to go in. I told her I needed to see her key -
she looked at me incredulously. I apolgized, but said if she didn't
have a key, I wasn't able to let her in. She dug around her purse and
finally presented one, exasperated. I thanked her and turned to
leave, and before the door closed I heard her say "stoo-peed".

Wee-eeelll....I wasn't going to let that be the end of it. I of
course considered saying something rude, but instead I swung the door
open and shouted after her "hey! Do you want there to be a security
issue in the building or what!". Yes, I'm sure that put her in her
place. All I can say is - I don't want to be the temporary lodger who
lets in the serial killer. I'm thinking they charge extra if that
happens.

As for dinner - I'm back here at Willi's, and a little disappointed.
When I arrived - early, at 7:15 - the bar was almost full of people
drinking wine. Fortunately there was one stool available, but at the
"body" of the bar, not at the end where I like to be. I know, it's a
little obsessive of me. But I don't like being all exposed out in the
middle. I know there are a few of you out there who understand. But
I'm guessing it won't affect the food and the wine :)

Not sure if I'll post again after this...Will enjoy the lights of the
city as I walk home, the sounds, the people...And then it's up at 4:30
tomorrow morning to get ready for my 5am pickup. First flight leaves
at 8am, and I arrive in Seattle at 11:50am - kind of wild, due to the
big time change.

Can't wait to be home! And then Boston! Such a mix of sadness, but
also excitement...woohoo!

Love you all so much - it's meant a lot that so many of you have
followed along with me on my expedition. In some ways, it seems that
6 weeks has gone by very quickly!!

xoxo L

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment