Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tech difficulties post has finally been corrected! Plus the rest of my day...

Bonjour!

I finally fixed the blog post I had trouble with, although it's a
little incomplete. But I'm guessing none of you are desperate to know
how my evening was last night, so let's just move on :)

After grabbing a croissant and a nice big mocha from Starbucks this
morning (yes, I finally caved - I couldn't help it! They're one of the
only places you can get a nice big to-go cup and lowfat milk!) I
started walking. I only intended to do a neighborhood stroll - I was
afterall still in my nightgown - but instead I walked to the Opera
House which is about 3 miles roundtrip. Still in my nightgown you
ask? Well, it's cold here. Damn cold. (34 degrees tonight!). And so
I decided to just put my black tanktop mid-thigh nightgown on over my
black capris and black tanktop shirt, and then my tan jacket over
that. Wearing a super long shirt or sweater (or a regular length
dress) over pants is pretty popular here. But again, don't judge. You
didn't see it. It was kind of cute, I swear.

I toured the opera house, which was GORGEOUS. My photo post about
getting a killer ticket to tonight's performance is an example.
Beautiful artwork, ornate mouldings, gilding everywhere, just really
stunning.

After the tour and buying my ticket for the show tonight, I realized
of course that I needed new shoes. None of what I had would work with
the dress I needed to wear (it was afterall the opera - I didn't think
either capri pants or jeans would be appropriate). And the red heels
wouldn't work as there were many stairs to climb and hallways to walk,
and I didn't want to have to stop every 5 minutes to cry. So, I went
shopping! Luckily, right behind the opera house was a huge department
store and one entire level was women's shoes. They had absolutely
every designer - from the tippy top end in fashion to the (somewhat)
more moderately priced designers. I knew I wanted something a little
different but comfortable, and I knew they were the right ones as soon
as I laid eyes on them. Take a look at the photo below.

After the purchase, I walked back to my place and had a very late
lunch at a neighborhood restaurant - a small appetizer of gorgonzola
and walnut ravioli in a pumpkin sauce and then duck breast in a cherry
wine sauce with potatoes au gratin. It was perfect.

The Opera tonight was lovely - fun people watching, a beautiful
setting, gorgeous music. The set design for the show was amazing.
All the performances were great, although I confess - I skipped out
before the last act. I had read the story of "Mireille" (since it's
all in French, I wanted to know more detail on what I'd be viewing)
and so I knew the heroine died at the end. I figured instead, I'd
leave on a high note - after the bad guy got what was coming to him :)

A cab ride home, then some apple, ham, cheese, and bread at home for a
late night dinner/snack...That was my day! Oh yeah - and police here
are on rollerblades! (at least some of them). I think it was one of
the oddest sights I've seen so far on this trip. That, and an entire
Italian family all wearing red pants (mom, dad, and the 2 kids). The
French seem to like their red pants as well, but not quite as much. :)

Until tomorrow....au revoir...
Love,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment