Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's surprising, really, that you don't see bicyclists sprawled all over the road...

...seeing as how I've seen people riding their bikes while: texting on
their cell, talking on their cell, putting on their jacket, listening
to their iPod. And this is on streets shared with lots of cars.
These are a very talented people!

After breakfast this morning, I went shopping! Okay, it was only one
store, but for someone who usually hates to shop, it was still a big
deal. It was a small, but multi-level department store called
'Coin'. Lots of accessories, purses, clothing - some really
interesting designs. I bought a couple of beautiful scarves, a
necklace, and a wrap/shawl type of thing. I wanted to have something
to wear besides tshirts and workout pants, with my super-stylish
friend Jen arriving tomorrow :)

Then I went to the Teatro Farnese - an ancient theater that was
rebuilt after much of it was destroyed in the Allied bombings of
WWII. And then the Galleria Nazionale - the important art museum
here. Lots of beautiful paintings by Cannaregio and Parmiagana (did
you know there was a painter of that name? I didn't!). There was also
a small, lovely simple line painting by DaVinci. It's interesting how
his work is so specific - you know right away it's his, without
needing to see the identification.

After that, lunch, and a little more wandering around. Then some
lounging at the hotel, some reading.
I went out for a cocktail around 6:30pm - the streets were PACKED!
Families, couples, groups, older, and young - everyone strolling the
streets or having a cocktail or glass of wine. At this time of day,
the bars all put out little snacks - pizza, cheese, ham, olives, etc
for those having a drink, and many people make a meal out if it. Such
a neat custom! I grabbed some food and wine, and actually brought it
back to the hotel. I was tired (no nap!) and really just wanted some
peace and quiet, relaxation time.

Sad to say, but that was my exciting day! Tomorrow late morning, I'll
drive to Mantova and check in to the hotel there. Jen should arrive
around 12:30 or 1pm. And then our once-in-a-lifetime dinner event at
Dal Pescatore is at 8pm (a car picks us up at 7pm). What if dinner
sucks? Haha! Always a thought when it's as hyped as this, huh? :).
I'll be sure to let you all know -although you may not hear about it
until Monday morning!

Love to all,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment