Friday, October 16, 2009

Sometimes bad luck turns out to be good!

I walked about 20 minutes to a Mexican restaurant I had read about
that was supposed to be the best in Paris. When I arrived at 9:30 it
was packed and standing room only, and without a reservation I was
told it would be hopeless to get a seat (even just solo little ol'
me). Deflated, and not wanting Frenchy food, I decided to start
walking to a Cuban place I had passed a few days before - about a mile
and a third, or another 15 - 20 minute stroll. And thus the bad luck
became good.

It was so dark in there I almost set my menu on fire trying to read it
over the candle, but Cuban music was playing in the background and the
vibe was great. And my meal was fantastic - a juicy leg-on chicken
breast falling off the bone with a chorizo stuffing, red pepper
polenta/corn mixture, and fried plantains. Those are all my
approximations of ingredients as the only part I recognized on the
menu was "pollo" (chicken) and "maiz" (corn). It was awesome - a
perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors that always hit my palate
just right.

One more day here in Paris. No big plans for tomorrow, except to go
to a solon and get my hair washed and then blown out straight. A
total girlie treat thing to do, but my hair deserves it. It hasn't
exactly been treated nicely by me on this trip, so it will be a fun
luxury. Other than that - some packing, a final croissant, a final
walk around the city, and then dinner again at Willi's where they're
holding a spot for me at the bar. It feels like Jak's :). (a West
Seattle haunt of mine)

Paris at night truly is magical...I think I'll walk home slowly....

Au revoir,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment