Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ahhhhh, Florence!

Ciao!

I took a little break last night, and only posted photos from my day
in Firenze, so here's the story part :)

Taking the bus into the city was divine - a beautiful drive, able to
look around without fear of careening off the road, etc. Coming into
the city, I was struck by the various green spaces Firenze has
maintained, which adds to it's beauty.

I very quickly, and proudly, found the two foodie restaurants I wanted
to check out while there, and then embarrassingly walked myself in a
circle right back to the bus station. Apparently my feet thought that
a 30 minute excursion was enough :). So, I set out again, wandering
the streets, admiring the architecture...The city felt more refined
and less hectic than Roma (well, 1.5 million less people will do that).

The foodie stops had been a little shop that makes panini tartufati -
teeny little sandwiches with truffle spreads in them (that was
breakfast); and then Obika Mozzarella Bar (not open yet - would return
later for lunch). I walked through the area around the Duomo,
admiring the statues, lines of the building...then headed to the
Accademia, where the statue of David was (but not before trying some
delish gelato - organic, seasonal - mmm).

Thank goodness I had made a reservation - the line to get in otherwise
was RIDICULOUS!! I actually got into the tour group line by accident,
and thought I might be booted, but they were overwhelmed and so waved
me in - ahead of everyone else with reservations! David is quite
amazing indeed - I'm so glad I went. He truly is the "the male form,
perfected". And, as an added bonus, they also had a Robert
Mapplethorpe photography exhibit, drawing similarites between his
images and sculpture. Amazing stuff.

After the Accademia, I had lunch at the Mozzarella Bar. The concept
is that of a sushi bar, but with cheese. Genius, really (Kaye - I
know you'll disagree :)). The photo below is of burrata - a supersoft
mozzarella with a hint of sweetness - paired with prosciutto di Parma,
and then a whole wheat toasted thingy topped with tomatoes, arugula,
and a little crumbled fresh mozzarella. It was fabulous.

After lunch was the Uffizi Gallery. It was incredibly crowded, and I
was underwhelmed. Many important paintings, but the era just didn't
strike me. A bunch if either docile-looking and/or naked people, lots
of portraits. Yawn. :)

And then it was back to the bus! Such a lovely day!

Ciao!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment