Sunday, September 13, 2009

Siracusa - land of speedboats, seafood, and dog poop

Ciao!

Today I spent wandering around the old town (well, I guess technically
it's all old) part of Siracusa, on the southeast coast of Sicily.
Since it's Sunday, the streets are pretty quiet with most shops
closed, with the main action being the larger restaurants. "Sunday
dinner" out with the family is popular here - lots of kids, big
groups, etc.

I ate at a restaurant on the water, and apparently there was some sort
of speedboat racing or exhibition going on. Fast, narrow, colorful
boats were screaming up and down the coast - kids and men crowding the
boardwalk equally enthralled. And as for the spaghetti with sea
urchin? Yeaaaah, not a fan. It's fishy (of course), which would be
acceptable, but personally I found the texture revolting. It was a
light lunch. :)

The photo below is of some old building/church here in town. Haaaa! I
know, so disrespectful of the past. I think I've just had too many
"old buildings" over the last few days. Doric Temples are old. And
brown. And have columns. GOT IT. :)

As for the rest of this post's title? Well, let's just say I have
never had to spend so much time looking down while I'm walking. I
know - eeewwww! Siracusa is in great need of a "scoop" law here.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow I get a call from those tourists with my
passport! Bought them a bottle if wine as a thank you gift. And one
for me :)

Ciao!
L

1 comment:

  1. The dog poo thing is something I remember from Naples, too. Just a little on the dirty side all around. Also, funny that you are over the old buildings and you are just a week into it! Ha! Some old buildings are cooler than others. Oh well, just enjoy the food. ;-)

    ReplyDelete