Tuesday, September 15, 2009

As you can tell, I'm happy here in Sorrento

Ciao!

After several hours of car, plane, and bus, I am SO happy to be here
in lovely Sorrento.

The drive to Catania was okay - but there's always that harrowing
moment when you have to ask yourself - "do I listen to my GPS
boyfriend who has brought me this far without incident, or do I pay
attention to the signs telling me that the Catania airport is that-a-
way?". In this case, I fortunately did the latter - it seems there
have been some major renovations on the autostrada in this area and
everthing has shifted. Flight was also okay - bumpy, but no crying -
just muttering under one's breath :)

And then there was the bus ride. I like to refer to it as the "effing-
bus ride". I thought it would be a good idea to sit on the right side
of the bus, in order to have the best view of the coast as we drove
south. And apparently I forgot that my fear of flying is strongly
tied to a fear of heights - it was all I could do to not grab the
little Italian lady next to me as we careened around bends from a
thousand feet up. Seriously - there's about 5 inches and a tiny bit
of concrete between the bus and the ocean below. But of course we made
it. (I know, I have become such a Pansy in middle age).

Since here, I've had a cocktail and read my book on my balcony, walked
down the big hill into town and had some gelato, walked back up the
equally big hill (for the 2nd time - refused to take a cab when I
arrived!), showered, and had a wonderful dinner here at the hotel.
The hotel dining room has gigantic windows that slant open, allowing
the ocean breeze and sounds to come in - in addition to the amazing
views and twinkling lights of Napoli across the bay. Food and wine
was divine. I was a happy girl.

Tomorrow, I'm doing Pompeii via a tour. I decided that I was tired of
organizing everything myself and am going to take advantage of being
picked up and carted around for a fee :)

Love to all,
L

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment