Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Manarola, a lovely walk, a sad story, and rats. Rats, as in I don't feel good tonight :(

I had a nice leisurely morning, strolling around, lunch overlooking
the rocks and sea. Then I took the people ferry to Manarola, to
experience that town a bit as Jody and I hadn't really had a chance
(too exhausted from the hike, and more interested in a cold beer at
that point).

The town is sweet - pastel houses piled on one another on a little
cliff, a couple of quaint piazzas, colorful wooden boats lining the
dock entrance. I strolled up a trail leading through the vineyard
planted above the town, rows of vines with lemon trees intermingled.
And, gorgeous views when you reach the top. The trail leads to a park
perched out on the edge of the cliff. There, I noticed two plaques -
one in English and the other in Italian, making reference to a woman
named Sarah being claimed by the sea.

Once I finished the trail, and sat at a little cafe for a snack, I
became curious about the plaques and so did a web search with my
iPhone. The story is shocking, tragic, sad, and is a good reminder to
live every day to the fullest. I won't go into details here, but
encourage you to read the story and view some photos here:

http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index.ssf/2008/09/the_mother_of_a_young.html

Now, as for the 'rats' part of the story...The snack I had seemed
really great at the time - toasted bread covered in chopped tomatoes
and pesto. It was swimming a bit in olive oil from the pesto, but I
didn't think anything of it. However, apparently one can have too
much of a good thing 'cause I've had a tummy ache for the last several
hours and just generally don't feel good. I even skipped dinner
(insert incredulous gasp here). It's about 9:30pm, and I'm about to
watch a little Italian tv and then go to bed.

Will hopefully be all better in the morning!
Love,
L

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lisa, I just finished your comment to me on my blog about dear Sarah. We just honored her 2 days ago as it is now 2 years since she died there on what she had told her dear husband Christopher---just a bit before, was the "best day of her life." I hope you can continue to connect with the people there--even look up Paula Pecunia-she works in the Cinque Terra Park office-usually is in Riamaggiore. If you get to see her--please hug her for me. We have been embraced by the wonderful people from that land. I ache to go back right now. I try my best to keep my face to the light of life with my faith and trust to see Sarah again in heaven.
    What a journey this has been. She had a myspace page-under yugabanuch and all their pictures from before the accident and also of the ceremony from last summer are there. my myspace is: myspace.com/truenorth78 and you can then go to hers. Christopher isn't keeping it up at this point, but all the stuff is still workable.

    Please enjoy your time....how totally cool. I love to travel and my dear daughter got it honestly from me and we did some traveling together. I miss her so. bless your trip. I am ok with people accessing our story--she would love to have other's read--and then live with full intention and love life well. She surely did.

    ReplyDelete