Friday, September 25, 2009

The little bastards.

Yup. The little bastards. That's what I'm calling the un-freaking-
believable mosquitos here. They've been this way since I arrived, but
my capacity for not complaining has reached it's threshold.

For the first several days, they were stealthy. I never saw them, but
every day I woke up with a couple of big red itchy welts. In the
middle of last night, I awoke with 4 big bites in a row, along the
fleshy part of my palm where my thumb is. Apparently, it was a buffet
line for them. I almost fell out of bed in agony scratching the heck
out of it.

Now, I've started to see them. It's not possible to keep them out of
the apartment, as the bedroom windows aren't sealed - there are gaps
between the walls and the frame. Sitting here at dinner, I've just
been bitten on my big toe and the top of my foot. I'm not wearing any
perfume or lotion - am apparently just delicious. I would say "this
bites", but, well, you know. I guess it's a small price to pay. But
looking forward to heading to the coast on Sunday...

Today was lovely. (I know, I need to come up with a new word). I
walked up a very steep hill to the little hamlet of Montefioralle this
afternoon, after having my morning cappucino at the local Internet
cafe. The walk was gorgeous - the narrow road lined with silvery-
green leafed olive trees and grape vines heavy with fruit. I tasted a
grape - sooo sweet...just starting to see the beginnings of harvest
here. If it weren't for my heavy breathing, it would have been quite
peaceful. :)

I wandered around the little town, then had lunch on the outside
veranda of a restaurant perched on the side of the hill. Burrata and
pomodoro salad, and homemade mushroom ravioli with truffle sauce.

After lunch and the walk back down - a nap. Then some reading. And
some Italian news and their version of "who wants to be millionaire".
I like testing my Italian this way - I can understand many of the
questions and have even gotten some right! Then, it was on to dinner,
at a bistro a few blocks away that I had a very nice meal at a few
nights ago.

Not sure how I'm able to keep up this pace, but I'm doing my
best! ;). A favorite moment of the day (besides a little old Italian
man stopping in his car halfway up the big hill today, asking me if
I'd like a ride): as i walked home from dinner, I hear this beautiful
singing and music. The church door is open, so I peek inside...It's
10 o'clock at night here, and a small group has gathered and, I'm
guessing, is practicing for this weekend's service. Just a quaint
moment. It really is so great being here. Wish you could all join me.

Love,
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you want me to pack some proper bug repellant.

    ReplyDelete