Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Italian Riviera...food, hikes, sun, sand...and more food :)

Ciao!

I drove into the Cinque Terre this afternoon - specifically,
Monterosso al Mare. Got to drive up and down the treacherous
cliffsides 3 times due to a language barrier and lack of GPS
recognition. That was FUN. :). But, I finally arrived in one piece -
although it was to find they have me booked for 4 nights instead of
5. And even though most hotels here are fully booked, I was assured
"not to worry". And so, in true Italian tradition, I won't!

I have a basic room, but the seaview terrace on it is actually larger
than the room - fabulous! I'm sitting out here now, with a digestivo
and a cool breeze, listening to the waves lap and the lingering
chatter of socializing below.

Jody, Kelly, and I had dinner at a fabulous restaurant tonight -
Ciak. One of the specialties here on the Ligurian coast is pesto, and
so we had a big bowl of that with spaghetti, paired with a giant
sizzling clay pot of seafood stew packed with the day's catch. That,
and a delicious bottle of red wine. And dessert. It was AWESOME.

Tomorrow morning, Jody and I are going to hike the 5 Cinque Terre
towns, about 5 hours. We will then take the train or a boat back as
we will be spent! But it's been on my list to do and I'm very much
looking forward to it!

That's all for now. Provided I do not pass out from the hike, you
will hear from me tomorrow :)

Love,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment