Thursday, September 10, 2009

Market, What I've learned, and the Man

Buon giorno!
I went to the Campo de Fiori piazza this morning, where they have a
market of local produce, flowers, etc. Had a breakfast of cappuccino,
prosciutto, mozzarella, and pane (bread), then wandered around a bit.
Am now on the hotel's rooftop deck in the glorious sunshine...ah, la
dolce vita!

I leave for Sicily tomorrow, and thought I would recap a few things
I've learned while here in Roma:

- One must confidently walk out into traffic if one ever wishes to
cross the street. Traffic will slow down for you (note: not stop),
but only if you look like you really mean it

- Romans do not make eye contact and say hello on the street (you will
occasionally have your chest looked at by a man, but that's it).
However, once you enter a store or restaurant, you get a very warm
"buon giorno!". My feet also received quite a bit of attention - I
think locals thought my shoes were unusual (i'm wearing Keens, a red
canvas open weave)...thought there would be lots of those around here,
but nope. Not that I care - they're super comfy and I've been able to
walk miles and miles in them :)

- Bidets are actually quite handy. Enough said.

- There is good and bad gelato. But I'll still eat both.

Man update: the date with Donato was fun! We had coffee, strolled
around a park, went up to a viewpoint area above the city where people
hang out, listen to music, and drink wine or beer (we each had a beer
- apparently that's ok to do before work, even if you're in the
polizia miltaria - Calabinieri). Here's the G-rated version: we
kissed. Select members of this reading audience will get mire details
at a later date ;)

Hope everyone is well! Love you all. Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you wouldn't want your mother reading the SORID details! ;-)

    ReplyDelete